Cultured Marble and Granite Sinks
There is nothing like marble or granite for bringing the wow factor into a home. However, natural marble and granite is a relatively soft stone and is better suited for low traffic areas. For homeowners who love the look of natural marble but are rightfully concerned about its maintenance and wear in their busy households, cultured marble is a fantastic alternative.
But what exactly are cultured marble and granite?
Cultured marble and cultured granite are precise blends of polyester resin, catalyst, fillers, and pigments that are thoroughly mixed and placed into open molds that have been coated with a clear gel coat. The gel coat is specially formulated to produce a tough, durable, transparent surface resistant to in-service wear. The manufacturer produces a unique range of colors, patterns, and veining.
The chemical reaction initiated by the catalyst causes the resin to polymerize and harden, bonding the entire matrix together in a hard, strong mass. Because of shrinkage that occurs during this process, our product is manufactured to within a 1/4 in. tolerance.
After several hours of chemical curing, the parts are removed from the molds and trimmed, ground, polished, and inspected. The parts are then ready for shipment and installation.
Cultured marble and granite are manufactured products and, like natural marble and granite, vary in shade and color.
The advantages of cultured marble and granite
- Beauty – Elegant, luxurious appearance
- Durability – High strength, resistant to denting, chipping, abrasion and staining (with normal use and proper maintenance)
- Lower cost – The casting process enables the manufacturer to produce cultured marble substantially lower than quarried marble.
- Seamless construction – Vanity tops can be made in one piece (up to 12 feet in length) with integral bowls and back splash, minimizing seams.
- Water and mildew resistant – Silicone is used to seal the seams, and it is much less likely to leak or mildew than ceramic tile installations that use porous grout. It is the responsibility of the homeowner to inspect and maintain all silicone joints. As houses settle and move, there is the opportunity for the joints to separate. This situation should be corrected as soon as possible so that more serious problems do not develop.
What products can be made of cultured marble and granite?
The list is endless, but the majority of cultured marble we sell is used for the following purposes:
- Vanity tops and integral bowls
- Bar tops and integral bowls
- Tub surrounds
- Shower bases and wall surrounds
- Window Sills
Standard Sink Bowl Styles
Custom Sink Bowl Styles
Semi Recessed Oval
Small pentagon shaped bowl with separate recessed faucet and soap landing area. Minimum vanity depth of 19”
Small Recessed Oval
Space saver oval scaled down to fit narrower vanities. Minimum vanity depth of 16”